OWLSHOTZ
OWLSHOTZ
OWLSHOTZ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OWLSHOTZ

Raptors and Other Birds

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Owlshotz has Reopen and is ready for the 2016 Season of new Barn Owl Couples and owlets.

Welcome to Our New Admin Willowfeather.

PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura (From PPO Blog By: Tracy)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin1955
Admin

PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Empty
PostSubject: PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura (From PPO Blog By: Tracy)   PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

CONCERNS!!!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Special update on Pot Plant Owl

We've all noticed Pot Plant Owl 'coughing', and it has caused concern.

This morning, we went to our vet who has been away recently - an expert Avian Vet, Dr Brett Russell, who is very well-known and highly regarded in his field. He does a lot of work for FreeMe's wildlife - sick / orphaned / injured. We showed him the latest footage of PPO's 'cough' and asked him what he thought.

Brett's advice is rather to be safe than sorry. We must bring PPO in for tests and x-rays.

We contacted FreeMe Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre to come and catch PPO. They have the equipment and expertise to attempt to catch PPO without undue stress on her.

Tomorrow FreeMe will attempt to catch PPO. At this time, we will be switching off the webcam - we don't want any extra 'attention' on the event. I'm sure you can appreciate how delicate this situation is. It is not like taking a tiny sick chick out of the nest - this is much more difficult to accomplish.

If FreeMe is successful at catching PPO, Dr Russell will take over and I'll keep you updated.

As for the chicks: for the moment, they will remain in the pot on the balcony where Pappa should continue to feed them. However we will monitor the situation. If the chicks are not getting sufficient food, their diet will be supplemented under the supervision of FreeMe.

I'm not going to attempt to guess what happens next, as this is completely unchartered waters for us.

All I ask, is that you don't panic or send us a flood of messages asking for updates and expressing concern. PPO is perfectly fine, until tests prove otherwise. And we will cross that bridge if we come to it.

I will keep you constantly updated based on information I receive. Again, I ask that you please not keep on querying directly with me, because I promise you, I will let you know as soon as I know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited by LadyLaura on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin1955
Admin

PostSubject: OutCome & Results.. (Per Tracy's Blog)   PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:21 pm

RESULTS!!!

http://potplantowl.blogspot.com/

9 November and what a day for PPO!

6:40pm Central Africam time: I feel like a steamroller has ridden over me once, and again for good measure. If I feel like this, I hate to think what Pot Plant Owl must feel like now.

To quote the famous detective, Monk, here's what happened:

3pm: Nicci Wright from FreeMe Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre arrives, armed with 3 different types of catching nests for PPO. The plan is simply to throw the net over the unsuspecting PPO sitting in the far pot plant, and put her in the carrier box. Easy.

The first approach - the 'lets-sneak-up-on-her' approach - failed miserably. Before we could blink, PPO flew off the balcony and landed on a wall in the neighbour's garden. There is a fair distance between our house and where PPO landed on the wall. As I squinted to where PPO landed on the wall, my mind's eye pictured a field of flowers with someone wearing a summer dress waving a large butterly net over her head, and PPO flying into net.

Ergh! Back to reality. We couldn't run around waving a large catching net over our heads, so we had to think of plan B.

Plan B came in the form of my head being used as target practise. I went out on the balcony with Nicci and taunted PPO by going right up to the nest, and her chicks. At first, PPO didn't take the bait. She knew what we were up to, and what we wanted from her. But after a series of cheeky beak snaps from her chicks as I got closer and closer to the nest, PPO and Pappa finally had enough, and launched an attack.

With one deft swing of the catching net, Nicci swooped the attacking PPO up in the net, and quickly moved her to the travelling box. I then drove PPO to Dr Brett Russell, the expert Avian vet.

In Brett's consulting room, PPO made one further attempt to 'stamp her authority' and flew around the room until Brett finally caught her. PPO was x-rayed and samples were taken and tested.

A grumpy looking PPO and I sat in the waiting room together, for the results of the tests to come back.

Good news! PPO is well. What may be causing the 'coughing' is fur or something similar stuck inside her, that she is trying to get out. Otherwise, the x-rays showed no sharp, foreign objects in her, which was a major concern. Tests came back negative for very harmful, often fatal, diseases in owls, so that's also great.

The ride in the car home wasn't pleasant. I suspected the cold shoulder from PPO, but I got an icy reception in the car. I believe she sensed she was going home, and played up to that.

PPO's release took the form of me carrying box out onto the balcony, and opening the release door. PPO bolted out of there, landed on the balcony railing, threw a 'if-looks-could-kill' look back at me, and flew quickly away.

So much for 'thank you for checking on me'!

PPO has since been back to the balcony. She now has to contend with hyper chicks running amok on the balcony, and I have to prepare to do an owl talk on ol' stinker and her family.

No rest for the wicked here.
Back to top Go down
Admin1955
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura (From PPO Blog By: Tracy)   PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Allan with the water can & Merlin & Timka..

PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Allanwithbabies

Merlin and Timka Watching for momma to return.

PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) BabiesawaitingPPOreturnfromdrcheckup119

PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Babiesbumfuzzled119

PPO Returns Home (How Dare You Look) Back To Tracy for all her great work and Concern!

PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Mommaishome119
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura (From PPO Blog By: Tracy)   PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura   (From PPO Blog By: Tracy) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PPO Concerns & Outcome with Pics By LadyLaura (From PPO Blog By: Tracy)
Page 1 of 1